A History of Fabrica
Opened in March 1996 in the deconsecrated Holy Trinity Church, Fabrica was established by a group of artists from Red Herring Studios in Brighton, as a focus for contemporary visual art practice, with the support of South East Arts, Brighton Borough Council, The Foundation for Sport and the Arts, and Chichester Diocese.
Holy Trinity church closed in 1985 and the Council intended the building for use as a museum of Brighton history. Ultimately that role was taken up elsewhere and that’s where the artists from Red Herring came in with the first exhibition taking place in the newly named Fabrica in 1996.
The name Fabrica was chosen because of its association with making through the words fabricate in English and fabriquer in French. Additionally, Fabrica with slight variations means factory in many European languages. The desire for Fabrica to be a place of making was important to the artists that set it up.
Matthew Miller 1961 – 2011
Matthew Miller was one of the founding members of Fabrica and its co-director. Today it is impossible to imagine Fabrica without Matthew. As well as being a strikingly original artist, he was, for us, an understated but visionary leader, a meticulous project manager and a man who was always totally dedicated to his task. The many artists, arts practitioners and managers with whom Fabrica has worked in the South East, elsewhere in this country, and in France and Belgium over the past ten years will miss him greatly.
Holy Trinity church
Trinity Chapel was built in 1817 by Amon Wilds for Thomas Read Kemp, developer of Kemptown, who led his own dissenting sect there. Later when Kemp returned to the Church of England, the building went with him. Later redesigns of the building have been attributed to Sir Charles Barry architect of St Peter’s Church, the Sussex County hospital and the Houses of Parliament and to Somers Clarke.
To find out more download The history of Holy Trinity Church